1. What Is independent living?
Independent living is a style of senior living that allows residents to live life on their terms, without the responsibilities and costs of maintaining a home. Residents can expect 24/7 security, professional staff and personal assistance available if needed. By living in a community designed with the needs of active seniors in mind, residents can also choose from a wide variety of activities, programs and opportunities for fun, fitness and fellowship.
2.What skills should someone have in order to be eligible for independent living?
Independent living residents should still be relatively self-sufficient. They should be able to take care of their personal needs like bathing, dressing, eating, moving around their apartment and community common areas, and using the toilet. They should be able to understand and manage any necessary medications. They should also be able to manage their money, safely use appliances and technology in their apartment and do light housework.
3.What safety features or security measures does Age Ventures India offer for independent living residents?
Our communities have 24-hour staffed concierge desks, secured-entry keypads for doors after hours and cameras at all entrances. We hold regular emergency drills, and there are smoke detectors and sprinkler systems throughout the community. Each night, we perform a security check at dinnertime. If a resident does not show up for dinner, we check their apartment to ensure they are safe and well.
4. What Do You Do to Keep Residents Safe?
For most older adults contemplating life at a senior living community, safety issues figure prominently. Ask what the community does to ensure your safety. Think about posing questions like:
- Do residents have access to alert buttons for emergency assistance? Do these buttons provide the residentâ€™s location so that staff can easily locate them?
- Does the apartment have pull cords?
- What about bathing safety? Are there rails or easy-entry bathtubs? Are there grab bars and non-slip surfaces installed?
- How does the community handle medical emergencies? What about at night? Is staff available 24/7?
- What system is in place to ensure residents are present and accounted for?
- Is there an emergency response plan? Does the community perform fire or other safety drills?
- Is there a generator for backup power?
- What background checks does the community perform on staff?